On November 27th, Maryland Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbara and Mayor Catherine Pugh unveiled the new jury room at Mitchell Courthouse. The new “quiet room” was renovated by our Major Projects Division, who doubled the size of the room, installed better lighting, and placed extra outlets for jurors to charge their electronics. Alongside these modern upgrades to the room, our Historic Properties Preservation office coordinated a large-scale installation of a 1976 mural titled, “Historic Views of Baltimore 1752-1857” by local artist Bob Hieronimus. The mural had been in storage at the War Memorial Building for years before it was taken to be restored by the American Visionary Museum, where it was put it on display for a period of time.
The artwork and renovations were designed to make the new room feel more comfortable for jurors’ whose wait times can last for hours when summoned. Great work from Major Projects’ Sam Batrawi, Chris Hepler, and Bambi Stevens, Facilities’ Mike Bean, and Administration’s Jackson Gilman-Forlini!